Ask a Dentist   »  

RCT due to pulp polyp, painful burning cracked tongue, temporary relief with Hexigel

Question
Male,28,5'11,70kg,gone through rct treatment due to pulp polyp of the right side wisdom tooth after that i always have a cracked tounge it is very painful but when i apply hexigel it cures but again it get cracked and burn.i have gone to dentist they said its nothing and smoothen my teeth its almot 3yrs now.recently i had thyphoid 2months ago.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

As you state that to developed cracked tongue after your Root canal treatment is only a case of coincidence. I would like to know a few things about you.
1) Do you have any other oral problems like bleeding gums, oral ulcers, bad breath?
2) About your hygiene?
3) Any coatings on your tongue?
4) Are you a smoker or alcoholic?

A cracked tongue can due to few reasons as stated below:
1) poor oral hygiene.
2) deficiency of vitamin B2.
3) dehydration.

Hexigel is an antiseptic mouth gel used for gingivitis, oral ulcers, oral infections and to maintain oral hygiene. This is probably not healing your cracked tongue completely which might be due to over added infections due to poor oral hygiene or deficiency of vitamin B2.

Typhoid causes smooth,coated tongue. As you are completely cured from it, its not the matter of concern.

I would advise you to
1) continue Hexigel.
2) maintain oral hygiene by regularly brushing your teeth,twice a day.
3) consume lots of water (around 3-5 liters per day).
4) To consume vitaminB supplements.

Hope this answers your query.I am available for follow ups as well.

Follow-up: RCT due to pulp polyp, painful burning cracked tongue, temporary relief with Hexigel 56 minutes later
I HAVE A PHOTO OF MY TONGUE.CAN I MAIL YOU.THERE ARE SOME ULCERS THEY HEAL BUT THEY COME BACK AGAIN.
I DONT GET THIRSTY SO I DRINK 1LTR WATER XXXXXXX PER DAY
NO SUCH PATCHES BUT ITS SOMETIME RED AND PAINFUL.
M NON SMOKER

Good to here from you again.

Yes, you can mail the photo to YYYY@YYYY with sub:ATTN:Dr. Vidya. I will get back to you after viewing your photo.

And about your water consumption,as I had mentioned in my previous mail that dehydration is also a cause for cracked tongue, so 1 litre a day wont be enough. Its good if you cultivate a habit to consume water around 3 to 5 litres per day.

I will reply to you again after viewing your photo.

If you have something more to know, please write again.

Follow-up: RCT due to pulp polyp, painful burning cracked tongue, temporary relief with Hexigel 19 hours later
I have sent the pictures kindly view it and reply.

Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 34 minutes later

Thanks for posting your photos.

After viewing your photos I could observe -

1.Cracks or fissures
2.Bald tongue
3.Blisters.

Bald tongue could be due to vitamin B deficiency, and appearance of blisters on the surface of your tongue could be due to acid reflux. The acid from the stomach reaches through throat to the mouth, burning the tongue producing blisters which usually happens at night.

A Cracked tongue or fissure tongue is a benign condition, which does not need any specific treatment.You can brush the top surface of your tongue to remove any remainder that may cause irritation.Use a soft bristle brush to do this, do not use a tongue cleaner.

I suggest you the following which may help in faster recovery,

1) Consumption of lots of water (3-5 litres per day).
2) Vitamin B complex supplements for example TAB.COBADEX/DIACOBAL PLUS one tab a day for 3 months.
3)Get an evaluation done for an acid reflux, you may see a General Physician for this
4)Avoid hot and spicy food,smoking and alcohol.
5)Continue Hexigel application.
6)If it still persists then I recommend you to get it examined by a General surgeon/An ENT specialist.
7)You may also require investigations of complete blood count and hemoglobin for anemia.

Wish you a good health.