Ask a Urologist   »  

RBCs and pus cells in the urine. What is the diagnosis?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I just had a urine test the microscopic examination results:
Red blood cells 0-2/HPF
Rus cells 0-2/HPF
Epithelial cells occasional

What does this mean?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Hello ,
The urine sample shows pus cells and rbcs which are usually not seen in urine.They are suggestive of a mild inflammation.Sometimes generalised viral infections can also cause such urine though specefic urinary infection may be absent
If you have any symptoms like fever, pain or burning during urination or frequent urination etc then it is definitely a urine infection which needs treatment with appropriate antibiotics or antiinflammatory medications.
Hope I have answered your query.