Quitted smoking and noticed mild bleeding from the nose. Any complication?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
yeah - gave up smoking 30 days ago, and in the last few days when I blow my nose I'm likely to get a small nose bleed - and have also got a blood shot left eye..... what gives?
Posted Thu, 17 Jan 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
The mild bleeding from the nose on blowing is seen most commonly due to dry nasal membranes. This is common in dry climates, or during the winter months when the air is dry and warm from household heaters.
Other causes may include allergic rhinitis, certain medicines like aspirin, upper respiratory infections, hypertension, alcohol abuse, etc.
I suggest you to get an appointment from your ENT surgeon for proper diagnosis and further treatment.
Till then put nasal saline drops to keep the nasal mucosa moist. Pinch all the soft parts of the nose together between your thumb and index finger if there is any bleeding. You can also lubricate your nose with A & D ointment, Mentholatum, Polysporin/Neosporin ointment, or Vaseline.
The blood shot eye is likely to be due to small capillary bleed. This is likely to improve spontaneously without any treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.