Quadriplegic. Will anal sex lead to bowel movement? Is that safe?

ENT Specialist
Hi I am a c6 quadrapalegic and I am wondering if I have anal sex will I have a bowel movement? Is It safe?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 5 hours later
Hi, Thanks for the query,

First, anal sex always carries some risk…for everyone. Why? Well, since the skin in and around the anus is relatively thin, it can be easily damaged or torn. In turn, broken skin could lead to a bacterial infection, or – if you or the person you’re having sex with has a sexually transmitted infection – anal sex can increase the risk of transmitting an infection.

How can you make anal sex safer? For starters, use plenty of water-based lubricant, which can reduce the risk of tearing the skin. And, of course, latex condoms are the best way to reduce the risk of infection and help prevent STDs.

Regarding your lack of may be more likely to experience tearing because you can’t tell your partner if something hurts. If you and your partner choose to have anal sex, advise your partner to be extra careful and aware of your body so that he doesn’t unknowingly tear your skin and potentially put you at risk for any infections.

Because you have bowel movements. If this applies to you, take note of your body’s patterns. If you don’t normally have accidents between bowel movements, you probably won’t have an accident during anal sex. However, if your body’s patterns are less predictable, you may want to be careful to only have anal sex after your bowel has been emptied.

Bottom line: anal sex as a quadriplegic is certainly doable, but make sure you’re practicing safer sex, and that both you and your partner are paying attention to your body to avoid injury. And despite your SCI, you may find that you still find anal sex pleasurable.

That said, you and a partner may also find there are other ways to enjoy sexual intimacy together – including intimate touching, toys, vibrators, massage and other activities.

Hope this answer will help you. And I am ready for future follow ups.