Ask a Urologist   »  

Purple marks on penis, not raised or painful or itchy. Am uncircumcised.

I am married, and have only had sex with my wife. I trust her completely. The last time we had sex was probably 3 days ago. I am uncircumcised. Today when I went to the bathroom I noticed a purple marking on foreskin that is only visible when the foreskin is pulled back. It looks like a bruise. It is not raised, painful, or itchy. It is the first time I have noticed it. I have not masturbated for 1-2 weeks either. My wife and I have sex 2-3 times a week, but like I said, we hadn't for a couple of days when I first noticed it.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 10 minutes later

It could just be a bruise, there is every chance of some trivial trauma during the act of sexual intercourse.

Other possibility could be Fordyces' spots, (these are basically abnormally dilated blood vessels). Its not contagious nor is it sexually transmitted.

Since you said, that they arent raised, itchy or painful, there is a high possibility of being one of these. On the other hand lichen sclerosis may also cause similar looking lesions. Only an examination can confirm.

There isnt anything to worry about, but the you should definitely be examined by a doctor to rule out the latter.

Hope I have answered your query. Do write back to me if you have any doubts.

Please accept my answer if you do not have any more concerns.

Follow-up: Purple marks on penis, not raised or painful or itchy. Am uncircumcised. 1 hour later
Thanks Dr.,

But from the pictures of Fordyce' spots, it is much bigger than that and singular. I also do not think it is lichen sclerosis. My best description would be when someone blows a blood vessel in the white of the eye, only a little bigger.
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 5 minutes later
Hello again,

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, Fordyces spots can be singular or they may be a solitary lesion. It most likely is that.

Sometimes they may grow in crops but sometimes, to the naked eye, it appears as a solitary lesion. It does appear as a bruise and does look like a dilated 'blown' blood vessel.

It should disappear on its own. Avoid trauma to that area.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Please accept my answer if you do not have further queries.