Prostrate cancer. Tenderness on left lower rib. Is it indicative of bone metastatic?

My 2 left lower ribs are tender when pressing on them. I had just worked out the previous day could this be the cause. I have been recently diagnosed with prostate cancer and I am concerned that this pain is indicative of bone Mets
Posted Sat, 26 May 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is are good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding your concern.

If you have been diagnosed with early-stage prostate cancer it would be very unlikely that your pain is due to metastatic disease to the bone. I would be much more inclined to think that the discomfort that you're experiencing is due to your recent exercise routine.

At the same time it would be reasonable to consider a bone scan to establish a baseline for you. If your oncologist has not already requested this I think you should discuss the utility of this diagnostic test.

If the bone scan is negative in the area where you're having discomfort this would provide you with the reassurance that you're seeking.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. I want you to know also that I am available if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Robert