Prone to frequent cold sores, starting near the mouth and spreading to cheeks. Suggest?

I am prone to frequent cold sores, and have a pretty severe one now, starting near the mouth and going down the cheek. Is it okay to exercise while I have this cold sore? I usually sweat quite a bit while exercising, and am concerned this could make the cold sore worse.
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Ilyas Patel 1 hour later

You are having cold sore ,also known as HERPES SIMPLEX LABIALIS.

It is caused by virus..HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS most commonly type 1.

You may be having vesicular eruptions on lip with mild to severe burning pain... off and on.

The disease may be preciptated by many, mental or physical stress,
Fever,exercise,fatigue,immunocomromised conditions..HIV,malignancy or chemotherapy, Trauma,menstruation..etc

Your question is about the role of exercise.

As I told you exercise can trigger the disease ..Cold sore.

Exercise increases body temperature and thereby activates the virus.. So precipitates the disease.

So, I advise you to avoid exercise as it precipitates or exacerbates the disease.

Also avoid stress and worries.

Take antiviral drug like acyclovir continuously till the control of disease. And it may be taken in pulses for the prevention of disease.

Apply acyclovir cream.

Improve immunity by immunobusters and healthy diet.

I hope you might be satisfied with my answer.

Still, if you have any query, you may ask..

Dr. Ilyas Patel MD