Prolonged insomnia due to excessive stress, have continuous diarrhea. Treatment required?

Jan 2013

I work long hours and the stress in my work is high. This has caused prolonged insomnia. I have been throwing up with diarrhea since last night. I did not eat anything that my family did not eat and the are all fine. Should I see a specialist or tough it out.
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know your other associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ gargling sound in abdomen/ abdominal bloating after taking meals?
Do you have fever/ spasmodic abdominal pain/ vomiting along with diarrhea?

With the available described details, there could also be possibility that you are suffering from acute gastroenteritis.
Although stress may disturb gut-brain axis and may cause constipation/ diarrhea and this is also known as IBS).
But IBS has history of all defined symptoms since long time, not for a short period (just like you have).

As your symptoms are short lasting, there is high chances of acute gastroenteritis.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, ultrasound imaging, and serum electrolytes, renal function test.
You should take complete antibiotic therapy, antispasmodics, probiotics, antipyretics, if needed.

Diarrhea is generally considered as infectious in nature and you should first take all defined medicines.
If your condition won't improve then only non-infectious causes should be suspected.

You should maintain your hydration status by taking potassium XXXXXXX liquids.
Take soft diet along with yogurt and banana.
Avoid milk and all milk related products.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava