Progressively increasing blood pressure and red patches on palms. Should I go to the ER?

Over the last two weeks I have had several symptoms that concern me. I take my blood pressure regularly and this is the first symptom I noticed.

My blood pressure has increased steadily over the last two weeks. It is normally 139/80, now it is up to 160/100.

Over the last 5 days my feet, hands and face have been swollen.

3 days ago I noticed that my hands have red blotchy patches on my palms and my finger tips & knuckles are also red, but when I stretch my hands out, the spaces between my knuckles & finger tips are white.

For the past 2 days I have felt tired and my breathing has felt very forceful.

Today I had something very strange happen. I had to walk up and down two flights of stairs today. I had no problem walking up the stairs, but when I walked down I felt my legs shaking and really struggling to manage carrying my weight from step to step. It was noticeable to other people as well. My legs literally shacked each time I placed weight on them to go down another step.

I have an appointment with my doctor in 3 days, but think I should go the the ER instead.

What should I do.
Posted Sun, 10 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
you should go to Er and get investigation

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic. Progressively increasing blood pressure and worsening generalized edema is indicative of some serious illness.
Most commonly increase in blood pressure and edema is seen in cases of rapidly deteriorating kidney function but can be also be seen in patients who are taking steroid treatment for some indication or some other serious illness that is produced by abnormal amount of hormones produced by a tumor.
You should consult to a local physician as soon as possible and get investigated for the cause of this swelling and hypertension. Delay can lead to catastrophic outcomes and affect recovery. You should get complete blood count, renal function test, liver function test and a whole abdomen ultrasound to start with.
You may need hospitalization if the condition demands.
Meanwhile cut down on the fluid intake to 1.5 litres a day and also reduce the salt intake in the diet.
I hope the advice will be helpful for you.