Pressure in armpit on resting arms against sides, no lumps. Any ideas?

I have the feeling of pressure in my right armpit. I can not find lumps. And, it doesn't seem swollen. It just feels like there is something there when my arm rest against my side. Any ideas on this?
Posted Tue, 21 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Before answering your question I would be needing certain informations from you so that I am in a better position to understand and be able to tell you.
Since when are you having this ?
Is there any local pain present?
Have you lifted any heavy object ?
Is there any burning,numbness or tingling sensations present?
Do you feel any associated chest pain or breathlessness?
Are you suffering from stress or anxiety?
Is there any history of diabetes or hypothyridism?

Waiting for your reply.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Pressure in armpit on resting arms against sides, no lumps. Any ideas? 2 hours later
Thank you for your reply Dr. XXXXXXX

I am unsure of exactly how long I have had this about 4 weeks would be my guess. I can't really say there is pain. Maybe some soreness, but the soreness is normally after I feel around the armpit for anything unusual as compared to the other. I have not found anything that seems unusual.

It feels a lot like there is extra mass on the area just behind the pectoral muscles or sometimes the bicep of the arm. A lot like my shirt might be bunching up in that area. Of course lymphoma is the first thing that pops to mind. However, I can't find any swelling. Honestly, I can't even find anything in there that even feels like a lymph nod. So, I'm not too worried about that. As far as breast cancer. Again I can't find anything strange in that area. Also, there hasn't been any discharge, unusual color, shape, feel, night sweats, chills or even a low grade fever.

I did go and have a massage. And, I am pretty sure they used an organic oil with natural perfume that I might be allergic to. Not long after the massage I did get a rash that formed on the back side of my shoulder near the armpit. The rash started at the armpit edge and moved upward on my back for about 3-4cm. This was also about the time I first noticed this odd feeling.

On lifting heavy objects; I took a trip in the last week of march. And, on that trip I did have my suite case packed right to the 20kg limit. Of course, with stairs, loading it into cars and off of baggage claims pinching a nerve or pulling something could be possible. I am right handed and would have used the right arm for most of the above. However, I'm unsure if I had this feeling on that trip. It seems that it might have start just after, but I'm not sure. I also had a ski trip in mid February. And, of course I took a few tumbles. But, I don't recall falling in a way that might cause a nerve injury. Usually when I fall I tuck my arms in, and it's normally the legs that I have trouble controlling.

Some times I do have a slight burning sensation and a few times an electric like tingling that is between the elbow and back of the upper arm, in the triceps, but more prevalent in the area of the elbow on its underside.

There is no chest pain or breathlessness. In fact I restarted the gym yesterday and had no trouble. My performance was about what I expected being that I haven't been there in about 17 months. I did chest training with free weights with no trouble, actually did better than I expected. And, managed to jog a kilometer at a pace of 9 KPH for about 7-8 minutes (which is also pretty normal for the first time back at the gym). Now, that was on a treadmill. I did have some trouble breathing through my nose. However, I do have seasonal allergies and the problem seemed to be getting the volume of air I needed through my nose. I have had the idea that this could be related to those allergies it seems to be more noticeable on clear days and less on rainy days. However, I haven't come across any information that would support that.

On stress and anxiety, no not really. The past few weeks have been rather good. And, I have been in a rather energized mood lately, the spring effect if you will. Honestly, with the exception of the odd feeling in my armpit I have been feeling great! More energized and more focused that usual.

On diabetes and hyperthyroidism, my grandfather had diabetes and both of my parents have had growths removed from their thyroids in both cases they were not cancerous. In me, I've had no serious health problems. I do have the beginnings of arthritis in my left hip which causes issues when the seasons change. And, I have had some erectile dysfunction. However, I did get checked for the ED last year and the doctors could not find any medical reason for it. However, it was uncovered that I had a Gall stone about 2cm in diameter.

I hope that helps! I'll be waiting on your reply.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
I just read your reply and in fact read it twice but very frankly speaking,I am not able to see anything in particular in that.
You seem to be a perfectly healthy person who is running,doing exercises and without any complaint.
I would still want you to look for the cause.
You must consult a doctor and subject yourself for a thorough physical examination to look for any growth or mass,as it is not possible for you to examine that perfectly.
Get yourself investigated for diabetes,thyroid,VIT B12 and VIT D.
Although VIT B12 and D deficiency dont manifest this way,but just trying to look for something.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck