Pressure behind eyes while reading, dry nose, dry mouth and Halitosis. What is the problem?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have pressure behind my eyes and it increases whenever I read more or I hit things with hammer. I always have dry nose and dry mouth and Halitosis. Can you please help me to find out what exactly my problem is?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later

You have provided somewhat incomplete information, although I appreciate it. In order to guide you appropriately, I will need a few more details regarding your problem, so please answer the following questions in as much detail as possible.

Since when are you having feeling of pressure behind the eyes ?

Do you have problem in vision, any fever, headache, dry itchy or painful eyes, nasal discharge, nausea, vomiting ?

Are you on any medication, any habits like smoking, chewing tobacco ?

There could be many causes for the above mentioned clinical picture, like infections, medications, mouth breathing in conditions like nasal obstruction disorders, sinusitis, xerophthalmia as part of Sjogren syndrome etc.

Headache, pressure behind eyes could be due to possible strain while working under low lighting conditions, spending more time in front of computer screen, sleep deprivation, dehydration etc.

You may attempt steam inhalation for dry nose and dry mouth, as it will be of symptomatic benefit. You may apply Optrex eye drops for soothing dry eyes. Try to get 6-8 hours of sleep daily. Do Yoga for stress relief. Eat healthy, drink plenty of water.

It would be best to consult with an ENT Specialist regarding dry nose, mouth and halitosis as dry mouth is an important cause of halitosis. Avoid smoking, drinking alcohol, chewing tobacco. Keep well hydrated.

Also dry eyes, do consult Ophthalmologist as refractive error, tear fluid deficiency, reduced blink rate etc.

Kindly do respond to the above queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.