Prescribed with percocet for pain. Have previous sensitivity to codeine and vicodin. What to do?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
I was prescribed percocet for pain. They gave me "oxycod/apap>" I have previous sensitivity to codeine and vicodin makes me really nauseaus. Years ago I took percocet following some surgey and seemed to be ok (1/2 pill) Is percocet /oxycod coeine all the same with the same side effects?
Posted Fri, 3 May 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your querry.

Oxycodone and codeine are similar medications they are both narcotic analgesics and they work in similar fashion. Oxycodone is a stronger medication and you can increase its dosage without taking codeine. YOu might try with this first. There are no interactions and reported side effects of taking them in combination except already known side effects of narcotics.

So you can take it but consult your doctor about dosage,start with low doses and increase it if necessary.
Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help"

Follow-up: Prescribed with percocet for pain. Have previous sensitivity to codeine and vicodin. What to do? 31 hours later
I understand they are similar medications. If someone is hypersensitive to codeine will they have the same kind of reaction to oxycodon and therefore should they not take it?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 9 hours later
Hi again.
No, you dont need to have hypersensitive reacton on both medicines. Those 2 medicines are similar but not the same, dont have the same active substance. ALso it is consisted of different other tablet's ingredients. So you may take it, but as I said start with lowest dose first and see is there any body reaction.
Wish you good health madam.