Prescribed with Acitrom for DVT, Taking Pantodac for gastric problems. Is this a safe combination?

May 2013
my wife has DVT and prescribed with ACITROM... at the same time due to some Gastroenerological problem she has been adviced to take PANTODAC 40 mg. please let me know if the combination can be continued...
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 4 hours later
thanks for the query.

Acitrom contains acenocoumarol, it belongs to the class of vitamin K antagonists and used in the treatment of thrombosis.

Pantodac contains pantoprazole sodium, is proton pump inhibitor, it is usually prescribed for gastritis etc.
There are only minor drug interactions reported in between these two, that effect variability of acitrom can be increased by pantodac.

As it is only minor interaction and seen only in some people your wife can continue the combination of drugs.

In rare occasions if below symptoms noted,
black stools, blood in urine, bleeding gums or nose bleed etc, immediately stop the drugs and consult your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.