Prescribed tamsulosin hydrochloride for prostatitis. Is this medicine safe for G6PD patient?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Tamsulosin Hydrochloride 0.4 mg was prescribed for me as I diagnosed with prostatitis (I have some difficulty to start urination and no other pains) My blood,urine,stool,abdominal sonography tests are OK, I can't take this medicine since I'm a G6PD patient (and my physician doesn't know alternative since G6PD is a very rare case in adults here in EGYPT). is there alternative prostatitis medicine that can I take safely for G6PD?
is there online medical library to check drug safety for G6PD patients?
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 2 hours later
Hi there, thanks for asking. You are true, many medications which have some sulfa base and some other medications can cause problems. You can use prazocine or trazocine. None of them have such a structure and will not cause problem. Prazocine may cause a little drop in you blood pressure. It may not be a problem if it is started with low dose and increased gradually. It can facilitate sleep if it taken at night as well. Trazocine is a newer medication. it is more expensive so if somebody can tolerate prazocine, it is better to take that one. I wish you a good health.

Follow-up: Prescribed tamsulosin hydrochloride for prostatitis. Is this medicine safe for G6PD patient? 16 hours later
Thank you Doctor for your answer.
What are your recommendations for G6PD patient like me to check drug safety for his case? i.e updated online medical library for G6PD patients.
Currently, I use the following site lists;
WWW.WWWW.WW WWW.WWWW.WW but they are not updated regularly.

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 50 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX, thanks for asking. The best site is WWW.WWWW.WW which is the official site of Food and Drug Administration. You can check for any drug to see the contraindications. Each drug has a site for the consumer and a site for the doctors.
Wish you the best.

Follow-up: Prescribed tamsulosin hydrochloride for prostatitis. Is this medicine safe for G6PD patient? 42 hours later
Tamsulosin Hydrochloride 0.4 mg was prescribed for me as one capsule daily for one month. What is the equivalent daily dosage of Terazosin 2mg and duration?
and can I use Xanax 0.25 mg once daily simultaneously with Terazosin 2mg or they have contradict effect?

Thank you for your help and time.

Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 15 hours later
Hi there, thanks for asking. They usually begin with 1 mg of terazosin, compared with tamsulosin.
You can use xanax with it, but they can bring your blood pressure low together. It is better to be used with very minimal dose of xanax or you may not use them together.
And watch for the side effects and avoid driving.