Prescribed flagyl for clostridium difficile. Chances of recurring after medication?

My doctor told me i have c diff and he put me on flagyl for 14 days. I have read alot about it and can kill. What is the chance it will come back after im done with the meds? I was in the hospital for two days over it. Can u help me out with some informatiodn. They act like they dont much about it around here
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 1 hour later

What you received is a standard line of treatment for C.difficile; So do not worry.

Recurrence is defined as complete abatement of symptoms while on appropriate therapy, followed by subsequent reappearance of diarrhea and other symptoms after treatment has been stopped. Most recurrences present within one to three weeks after discontinuing antibiotic therapy, although recurrences rarely can occur as late as two to three months. Recurrence rates may be 15 to 20 % especially if you are on immunosupressants.

Therefore if you have no symptoms initially after treatment, then do not worry.

If they recur then get your stool examined again and you may need second line drugs like vancomycin.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wish you a speedy recovery.