Prescribed antibiotics for ruptured ear drum. Feeling pressure, discomfort in ear and eye pain. What can it be?

ENT Specialist
I had ruptured my left ear drum 4 months ago, i showed myself to an ent specialist and was prescribed antibiotics and was told how to deal with the healing process and not to let the ear get infected . its been 4 months and the ear had been healing without any infections but now 4 months down , i feel blockage in the same ear with pressure and discomfort in my left eye too with pain in my left side of the head ..what can it be ? XXXXXX
Posted Wed, 8 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 59 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
Given your ear perforation, the symptoms that you have right now suggest some reinfection though minor, leading to blockage of left eustachian tube.
The treatment for this would be:
a. Avoid switching between extremes of temperature. Keep yourself while warm
b. Take steam inhalation 2-3 times a day
c. You can take tablet Paracetamol 1 tablet every 8 hours
d. You would need a course of antibiotics, decongestant (like psuedoephedrine) and a mucolytic ( like bromohexine)

Please see your physician. This is something which is readily treatable.

Hope it will helps.
Let me know if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Prescribed antibiotics for ruptured ear drum. Feeling pressure, discomfort in ear and eye pain. What can it be? 18 hours later
Thank you doctor for your reply, i went to my GP this morning who after examining me says that she can still see the scarring on the ear and has reffered me to an ENT specialist , but that might take upto a week you think i should just go see an ENT privately ?
Also the discomfort in the left eye as well ..could that be related to the ear or are they miles apart?
thanks again
Answered by Dr. Puneet Maheshwari 11 hours later

Thanks again for following up.

Virus or common flu is the commonest cause of such infection and they are self limiting condition. So the symptoms should resolve with steam inhalation and paracetamol. Keep the ear dry and clean. Avoid probing or using any ear drops.

You may watch the progress of symptoms and see a private ENT surgeon if symptoms worsen or you develop new symptoms. Chewing a gum is known to open up blocked Eustachian tube and relieve symptoms partially. You can try that.

Eye ache is not directly linked to ear infection. However this can be part of prodromol symptoms of a viral infection. Rarely if the infection involves sphenoid sinus one can feel pain behind the eye.

Don't get anxious. Watch the progress of symptoms closely and consult the specialist as required.

Hope this helps clarifies all your doubts. Please close this discussion if all your queries are answered. If I have more concerns, I will be glad to help you.

Wish you good and healthy recovery