Prescribed Sofradex for ear infection. Have history of ear problems. Should I take eardrops or go for natural products?

ENT Specialist
Question
Dear Doctor. I am a 25 year old male (175cm). I have a history of ear problems in both ears. Yesterday night I developed an infection in my left ear. I have been consulted by a XXXXXXX doctor today (I'm working here for the summer), and he has given me ear drops (Sofradex). - ! I am missing 2/3 of my left ear drum! It says in the instructions/guidance that I shouldn't use Sofradex if I have a perforated eardrum. The doctor here said it's okay, so I'm therefore having a dilemma here. Do u think I should use the eardrops or go into natural products in order to prevent damaged of my inner ear??
Thank you,
Daniel
Posted Sun, 22 Jul 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Sofradex ear drops are potentially ototoxic if you have an eardrum perforation.

2. You may use a combination of ciprofloxacin and dexamethasone instead.

3. I must emphasize that the chance of a ototoxicity may not be seen initially even with ototoxic ear drop use. The risk increases on repeated or long term use if an eardum perforation is present.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Prescribed Sofradex for ear infection. Have history of ear problems. Should I take eardrops or go for natural products? 2 days later
Thank you for your answer.
I have another quick question I hope you can answer.

I have had Cholesteatoma in my right ear (might still have) - Is there a chance that my left can develope Cholesteatoma as well because its been in my right ear??

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The eardrum perforation in the left ear has probably arrested the development of the cholesteatoma. However, migration of epithelium into the middle ear cannot be ruled out when there are long standing ear drum perforations or marginal perforations. Detailed examination findings and symptoms such as persistent ear discharge are important here.

2. Since you still suspect a residual or recurrent cholesteatoma in your right ear you may undergo an MRI for cholesteatoma with HRCT (High resolution CT) Temporal Bones, which is a new scanning protocol before any further surgical intervention. It is an excellent tool to rule out any residual or recurrent cholesteatoma and observe every minute change in the structure of the middle and inner ear due to cholesteatoma. You may share the images here.

3. In 2011, I co-authored a paper on "Role of Magnetic Resonance Imaging in Cholesteatoma: The Indian Experience XXXXXXX You may refer this to your doctors.

If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.