Prescribed Oxycodone for accident pain. Can it affect sperm such that it leads to birth defects or miscarriage?

I am prescribed oxycodone for painfrom an accident. My sperm count and mobility etc is above avg. My wife is now 5 weeks pregnant and I am worried my sperm might adversely affect development. Can the medication affect the sperm in a manner which could lead to birth defects or miscarrige ?

I am presciribed 6 10/325 every day , two every 4-6 hours. My wife and I are otherwise perfectly healthy and we have had trouble getting pregnent. She has an unusually shaped cervix but after implanting two fertilized eggs we have one progessing normally into the 5th week of pregnancy. I want to know if the meds can play an adverse affect in the babies development.
Posted Sat, 7 Jul 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
The pain killers you are taking are not likely to affect the sperm health or development in any way. Similarly, it will not produce any adverse effect on the growing fetus.
Please do not worry. Once the normal fertilization has taken place, only the genome of sperm is transferred to the zygote. The drugs are not likely to affect the genetic makeup of sperm in any way.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. XXXXXXX Tayal.