Had thyroid cancer. Took chemical treatment. Not able to produce a child. Is it due to chemical treatment?

Infertility Specialist
Question
Dear Doctor/s

One on my close friends (who can not communicate in English) had a thyroid cancer. So, he was given a chemical treatment as a Intravenous injection for about 9 months in 2007. since then he has been OK and recovered from such disease. However, since he get married, a couple of years ago, he has not been able to produce a child. ((Now, he wants to know if there is a relationship between his inability and the chemical treatment he was given or not. In other simple words, is his inability natural or as consequence of the chemical injected treatment.))

I really appreciate your assistance and direction
Yours Faithfully
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, get semen analysis done and tell me inj name

Detailed Answer:

I understand your query.

You are right that some chemicals do cause infertility by reducing sperm count but it is important for me to know which injections were given. If you could provide me the details of injections he received from chemotherapy, it would help me to tell you accurately.

Moreover has he got semen analysis done. Please ask him to get semen tested in a good laboratory to confirm sperms are good or not. If semen is normal then there is no reason to worry about the chemotherapy at all.

Semen analysis is a simple test done in any good laboratory. Please get it done from any good laboratory and send me the report. If it is normal, your problem is solved.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility

Follow-up: Had thyroid cancer. Took chemical treatment. Not able to produce a child. Is it due to chemical treatment? 3 hours later
Hello Doctor

He do not know the specific name of the Intravenous injection but he did the semen test and he told that the result is zero!

Many Thanks

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
get examined

Detailed Answer:

If he does not remember the name of injection, it will be difficult to predict.

I suggest let him XXXXXXX an XXXXXXX and get examined who will tell the probable cause after examining him. This could have been existing before chemotherapy injections too which can be confirmed examination and few tests. He might be adviced testicular biopsy to check if there is sperm production.

If count is zero ( Azoospermia), I am afraid it will be difficult to father a child naturally.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist

Follow-up: Had thyroid cancer. Took chemical treatment. Not able to produce a child. Is it due to chemical treatment? 20 hours later
Hi

Do you mean, doctor, that there is non-natural ways to father a child?
So, what is your advice to him, please?

All the best

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
ICSI or IUI with donor sperms

Detailed Answer:

He has to undergo testicular biopsy. If sperms are found he can opt for ICSI treatment which is a type of test tube baby treatment.

If there are no sperms in biopsy, he has to opt for donor sperm IUI for his wife in which donor sperms from sperm banks are instillled into his wife's womb. Please vsit an infertility specialist or gynecologist for details about the same in your place.