Prescribed Ciprodex for swimmers ear, not helping. What should I do?

Question
I was perscribed ciprodex drops for swimmers ear it has been over 24 hours and the pain is worse than ever even with ibuprofen and tylenol...what should I do?
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 47 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

I shall like to know the answers of the following:-

For what problem Ciprodex drops was prescribed to you?

Are you suffering from pharyngitis &/or rhinitis?

It seems that you are probably suffering with infection of external ear or Otitis media.

You may require a course of antibiotic and analgesic anti-inflammatory with decongestant like Tab. Sinarest.

As examination will be required for confirmation of diagnosis, you should please consult an ENT Specialist.

Meanwhile you can use Mycobiotic ear drops.

Hope you found my response to your query informative and helpful.

If you have further concerns in this regard, I would be happy to discuss those with you as well.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Prescribed Ciprodex for swimmers ear, not helping. What should I do? 31 minutes later
I have swimmers ear my question was is it normal to have increased pain after starting the ciprodex?

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 6 minutes later

Welcome again,

No, it is not normal to have increased pain after starting the ciprodex ear drops.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Prescribed Ciprodex for swimmers ear, not helping. What should I do? 11 minutes later
Thanks...why would the pain be worse do you think? I will call my dr. in the morning.

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 5 hours later

Welcome again,

In case of otitis media the pain can become worse.

In case of external otitis due to bacterial infection, Ciprodex ear drops should give relief.

If external otitis is due to fungal infection, ciprodex ear drops will not give any relief.

Mycobiotic ear drops may give relief in external otitis due to both bacterial and fungal infection.

Some times it is only impacted wax, which swells up due to water, which enters in the ear during swimming.

With good wishes,