Pregnant, want to terminate it. Can misoprostal be taken, what is the procedure?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi Dr, My wife is pregnant now. we want to miss carriage it . Now exactly 11 days after missed period. shall she take misoprostal kit?. The kit contains 5 tablets. please let me know the procedure to take the .
Posted Wed, 4 Sep 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take pills under medical guidance, not by yourself.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

It is absolutely not recommended, nor legal, or in your wife's interest, for you to administer the medicines for medical abortion to her yourself.
Please understand that abortion is to carried out under medical supervision only. There are various reasons for this.

Firstly, the diagnosis of pregnancy has to be confirmed by a gynecologist, and not just by a home test.
Secondly, the exact dates have to be confirmed by a gynecologist also, as sometimes, inspite of being pregnant, bleeding might go on which might be mistaken for a period.
Thirdly, there is a XXXXXXX situation called ectopic pregnancy, where the pregnancy is inside the tube, before taking any pills for abortion, this has to be ruled out. If the tube ruptures, then life threatening bleeding might develop.
Fourth, the exact dosage and the type of abortion medication is to be administered only by the gynecologist who will check your wife. Sometimes, she might advise surgical abortion also under some situations.
Lastly, after taking the pills as advised, you will need follow up visit to confirm that the procedure is complete. Without these steps, complications like infection, incomplete abortion, retained tissues inside the uterus, severe bleeding etc. might occur.

Generally, 1 tablet of mifepristone is given, followed 48 hours later by 2 tablets of misoprostol per vaginally, and again 2 more tablets after another 24 hours, also per vaginally.
This is the general dosage, and not at all to be taken without prescription or recommendation of your gynecologist. The dosage changes from person to person. Please get an appropriate doage for your wife after consulting a gynecologist.

So please see your doctor at the earliest.

Please take care, and feel free to ask for further clarifications.

Follow-up: Pregnant, want to terminate it. Can misoprostal be taken, what is the procedure? 21 hours later
As I am aboard I am not able to take her to hospital. Any way she is done the scanning today please find the reports attached . And let me know the further steps to complete it.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
CONSULT A GYNECOLOGIST IMMEDIATELY.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Am unable to find the reports which you say are attached.
As I said, the advice remains same as above.
She needs to see a gynecologist before proceeding further.
Please do upload the scans if you desire me to go through them.

Follow-up: Pregnant, want to terminate it. Can misoprostal be taken, what is the procedure? 2 hours later
please find the reports attached. sorry for the inconveniences.

Brief Answer:
SAME AS ABOVE.

Detailed Answer:
The report clearly points to an intrauterine early pregnancy.
An ectopic pregnancy is ruled out.
The pregnancy is early enough to qualify for a medical abortion.
I still insist that your wife has to see a Gynecologist, and take the medical abortion pills under prescription from a qualified doctor.

Follow-up: Pregnant, want to terminate it. Can misoprostal be taken, what is the procedure? 9 hours later
Thank you doctor for your valuable information. If anything required i will get back to you.

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
TAKE CARE

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the appreciation, and wish you all the luck.