Pregnant, vaginal discharge, irritation. Vaginal swab done, genital culture shows flora. Can it cause premature delivery?

Confusion regarding vaginal swab results :

Hi there, I am currently 23 weeks pregnant. I had some vaginal swabs taken due to a larger amount of vaginal discharge accompanied by some vaginal irritation . The swabs for chlamydia, gohnnorhea, trichomonas, and bacterial vaginosis, were all negative. However the swab labelled "Genital Culture" came back with a result of "Genital Flora: Moderate Growth" I have not had a chance to see my Dr about the results yet, I just received them myself online. My question is what does this mean? is moderate growth considered an abnormal result and could that be what's causing my symptoms? If i had an overgrowth of bacteria in my vagina then why is my test for BV negative? And lastly I've read that abnormal vaginal flora can cause pre term delivery so is this test result a cause for worry? Thank You
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 10 hours later

Your test is normal. Genital flora are good microbes present in vagina which prevents the growth of bad microbes or bacteria. Abnormal vaginal flora causes preterm delivery and not the normal vagina flora. Also your copious vaginal discharge is not because of genital flora.