Pregnant, scanning showed risk of Down Syndrome and Edwards syndrome. Offered CVS testing, taking progesterone and aspirin

Mar 2013
Dear Doctor, I am almost 13 weeks pregnant and yesterday I went for First Trimester Screening. The results are very upsetting and it seems my risks of having a baby with Downs Syndrome, Pateau and Edwards syndrome are 30%. The scan of the baby's neck measured 2.1mm and the nasal bone structure looked very well formed. I turned 41 in May and realise this could be a big contributing factor. I have a little boy who is a perfect almost 2 yr old. The hospital have offered me CVS testing but I am very nervous due to the miscarriage risk. I've suffered 2 losses in the past 12 months. I am currently taking progesterone and baby asprin to help sustain this pregnancy. Could you please advise your thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help.
Posted Thu, 26 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 3 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing in to us.

With a risk of 30 % of the baby having the syndromes mentioned, you SHOULD go for invasive testing.
I understand your concerns, but then the other option is going through this pregnancy with the shadow of doubt, and then having a 30 % chance of delivering a child who would have significant co morbidities and bringing it up for life.

That is a tough choice too, am sure you would agree.
CVS has a 1 in 100 chance of causing a miscarriage, and the risk of the child having Down's or other syndromes is 30 %.

Mathematically speaking, the risk of CVS causing abortion is LESS than the risk of you having an abnormal child.
If you are alright with not knowing if your child is normal or not till delivery, then you can skip the option of CVS.
In my opinion, at 41, with a positive first trimester screening result, there is no doubt that CVS should be carried out.
If at all, it will reassure you about the child being normal, and let you enjoy your pregnancy without stress.

At 41, even WITHOUT a procedure like CVS, chances of having a miscarriage are much higher than younger ages.

So please go ahead and get the procedure done, as it is the best option for you.
All the best, and I wish you luck with whatever you choose to go ahead with.
Please feel free to discuss further, as I would be happy to guide you.