Pregnant now, had taken medicine before for epilepsy which got reoccurred. Suggested oxetol. Is it safe?

My wife is 6 months Pregnant now, she had taken medicines 11 years before for epilepsy for 5 years and now
recently got reoccurred. We had consulted a neurologist in Bangalore. They suggested for Oxetol 300 Mg. Is it safe to have & also let me know, mother and child will not have any problem latter on.
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 39 minutes later
Thanks for consulting us.
Oxetol is an anti-epileptic drug & definitely increases risk of fetal abnormalities. It is used in pregnant women if the risks are less than benefits. That is, it should be used if the mother needs it for her health & seizure control. As, if a pregnant lady develops fits it may be more harmful for the baby than taking medicine.
However, current recommendation is that a women who is fit free for 2 years may consider stoping her medicine if she plans for pregnancy or already pregnant. This decision cannot be made by me, you, or a neurologist alone. Actually your wife's treating obstetrician & neurologist need to discuss this issue & make a plan which is most appropriate for your wife & the unborn child.
She should be taking folic acid supplementation 5 mg daily to reduce side effects of this medicine & to increase the chance of having a healthy baby.
Hope I have given you some helpful clues please write back if you have any question.
Best of luck.
Follow-up: Pregnant now, had taken medicine before for epilepsy which got reoccurred. Suggested oxetol. Is it safe? 34 hours later
Dear Dr,

Thanks for your suggestion, she is taking folic acid supplementation 5 mg daily
Any other care need to be taken. If yes please suggest me

Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 11 hours later
You are welcome here with all your health related queries.
As, I have mentioned earlier about the increased risks of birth defects. It would be wise to book with a specialist obstetrician, which I am sure you have done already. A fetal anomaly scan should have been done at 20 weeks gestation. I also recommend you to have fetal echo at 24 weeks of pregnancy to exclude any heart defects. If all this is normal, baby should have a neonatologist review at birth for further confirmation. If the mother is on anti-epileptic drugs she should take Vitamin-K after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Baby should be observed for any adverse effects of drugs for first few days of birth. May need to be kept in NICU.
If the mother is on drugs she needs to be supervised by neurologist as often as advised. During her early motherhood days, she needs support & help to ensure safty of the baby. So, it would be wise not to leave her alone.
Hope I have given you the desired response. Please write back if you need further help.
Best wishes.