Pregnant, in first trimester, taking vitamin D3 tablets. What diet is recommended?

Hello Doctor,

My wife is 11 weeks 1 day. So far there were no complications. Has the placenta formed by this time. when we can consider the pregnancy is safe? During our last Visit doctor noticed that my wife has Vitamin D3 deficiency. He asked my wife to take 50,000 IU per week. Pharmacy gave here D2 and they said it will be transformed to D3.

Can you suggest some good Indian food for her?
Posted Tue, 4 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
The placenta forms as soon as 5 weeks of pregnancy. The second trimester- 12 weeks onwards is considered as the safe period for pregnancy. By then the nausea decreases and the mother can have her meals properly. She can also indulge in mild exercise after consulting her gynecologist.
Since your wife is deficient in Vitamin D3, it is best to get the vitamin D3 preparation weekly as prescribed by your gynecologist. Taking Vitamin D2 will not be that efficacious. After proper supplements for 8 weeks, do get her vitamin D3 levels evaluated again to see the progress. Also, sitting in the sun in the morning and evening for 30 minutes daily is recommended.
The nutritional supplements that she needs for healthy baby include-
1. A high protein diet- XXXXXXX in pulses, cereals, eggs, fish, etc.
2. A high calcium intake- like milk, milk products, eggs, bajra, ragi, etc.
3. Eat fiber XXXXXXX fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables and avoid foods which are not easily digestible and fatty foods
4. Have six small meals instead of 3 large meals
5. Drink plenty of fluids
6. Go for regular Brisk walks for 30 to 40 minutes daily.
7. Take regular iron , calcium and DHA supplements as prescribed by the gynecologist.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.