Pregnant, have posterior low lying placenta. Is travelling by flight safe?

May 2013
i am 5th month pregnant in the last month scan(16 weeks 5 days) having posterior low lying placenta grade-1. i want to travel by flight 20 hours journey this month end is it safe or not. i am 23 years old and this is my first prenancy?? please give your answer.......
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat ultrasound needed

Detailed Answer:
Usually in case of low lying placenta, during flight journey variations in barometric pressures can induce antipartum hemorrhage sometimes.
So you once go for repeat ultrasound.
And if the placenta is migrated upwards or just dipping into the lower uterine segment you may travel with your doctor's advice.
If the placenta is covering the cervical os, better to avoid the journey.
And before going for journey, better to take progesterone injection and tocolytic tablets with your doctor's advice as prophylactic measure.
Use foot rest, walk for 5 to 10 minutes after every 2 to 3 hours of sitting, take necessary medicines like progesterone tablets, analgesics, tocolytics etc with you.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer followup queries. If you are satisfied with the answer, please give your review at the end of the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant, have posterior low lying placenta. Is travelling by flight safe? 7 hours later
my placenta is not reaching the scan at 16 weeks and i want to scan near around 20 weeks is there possibility to migrate placenta
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of migration

Detailed Answer:
If placenta is not reaching the Os, there is possibility of migration.
So go for review scan before journey and decide accordingly.
Follow-up: Pregnant, have posterior low lying placenta. Is travelling by flight safe? 9 hours later
what is mean by API, they are mentioned Api-12 cm. what are the precautions i have to take to migrate the placenta and what i have to avoid.and one more this type of situation is repeated in next pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
amniotic fluid index

Detailed Answer:
That might be AFI. Means amniotic fluid index.
It indicates the quantity of the liquor.
Usually AFI of 10 to 15 is normal.
Placenta should migrate by itself. Nothing can be done from outside. Only regular followups are needed.
You have to avoid strenuous activities, weight lifting, intercourse, road journeys etc, to prevent antepartum hemorrhage.
Usually this will not repeat in next pregnancy, unless there are provoking factors like previous scars on the uterus etc.