Pregnant for 42 days. Want to go for abortion. Suggest oral medicine and how to take it?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2016
Mar 2016

OBGYN
Question
My wife is pregnant and she has 42 days over from her last period.We want to abortion so please suggest any oral medicine for abortion.
Please also let me know how to take medicine
Posted Mon, 15 Jul 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. S Patra 49 minutes later

Thanks for writing on Healthcare Magic.

First of all, you should know that medical abortion can be done successfully up to 9 weeks of gestational age by using abortion pill. But it should be done under strict supervision of gynecologist or healthcare provider.

This type of medication should be prescribed by a gynecologist. For safe medical termination, I advise you to consult with your gynecologist for the prescription of medical kit.

Without that, she may face undesired adverse effects like excessive vaginal bleeding, abdominal pain, vomiting etc which may not be controlled at home. It is quite unethical and illegal to take abortion pill without doctor's consultation.

Medical abortion kit contains two types of pills, one pill to be taken orally at the first appointment and another pill to be inserted in vagina or taken orally within 48 hours of first pill.

Medical abortion procedure is associated with pain due to uterine contractions and vaginal bleeding. Hence, she may need to take pain reliever medication.

To summarize, you need to take a proper prescription of the medication kit by your gynecologist along with proper direction about the usage, advise on follow up visits for supervision and confirmation on completion of abortion by pelvic ultrasound scan. In case of retained bits, surgical abortion (D & C) may be needed to undergo.

Therefore, I advise you to consult with doctor for prescription of medical abortion kit with a proper advise on follow up visits and in emergency.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any other query, you can freely ask me.

Good luck. Be well.

Dr Soumen