Pregnant, experiencing fetal movements once and having back pain . is it normal?

Question
I am in 21st week of pregnancy. This is my first pregnancy. I am experiencing fetal movements from last two weeks once in every 3 days approximately. Over the Internet I have seen that fetal movements should be regular mostly on hourly basis. I am worried. Also I am experiencing severe back pain especially during night. I wanted to know is it ok to have less fetal movements at 21 weeks. From when fetal movements will regularise. Pls. Advise.
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 23 minutes later
Hi Ms. XXXXXXX

As this is your first pregnancy early fetal movements or quickening, will be felt a little later than in those with a second or third pregnancy where fetal movements can be perceived as early as 14 weeks. At the beginning, you will not be able to perceive all the movements and as time goes by you can perceive majority of the movements. You may start making fetal kick counts from week 28 onward to make sure the baby is well and be able to early if there is any problem. You can choose the most comfortable time of the day and the most comfortable posture and start noting down the movements on a paper. You should count until you feel 10 movements and note the time taken for that. If the movements are not felt at that particular time, you may choose another time of the day when you feel the baby is active; sometimes after having some liquid. Ideally, you should be able to perceive 10 movements in 2 hours.

Fetal movements are not uniform throughout the day; they vary as the baby's state of activity varies while the baby sleeps and so on. It is essential that they are felt at different parts of the day and not absent for a prolonged period. Cardiotocograms and biophysical profile monitoring can give the fetal status in case of doubt.

The cause of the back ache could be the pressure on the ligaments and the spine due to the enlarging uterus since this is your first pregnancy and your muscle tone would thereby be good, yet, you should have a consultation with your obstetrician to exclude any specific causes. Please take rest in left lateral position and use a soft pillow to support your back as you lie down straight.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.

Follow-up: Pregnant, experiencing fetal movements once and having back pain . is it normal? 44 hours later
I WOULD LIKE TO ASK FROM WHEN WILL I BE ABLE TO FEEL REGULAR FETAL MOVEMENTS. TODAY I HAVE COMPLETED 21 WEEKS OF PREGNANCY. MY LAST MENSTRUAL CYCLE WAS ON 14.03.2013.

PLS. ADVICE.

Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 9 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

You should be able to feel regular fetal movements from now onward. Perception of fetal movements as I mentioned earlier, varies from person to person and also from each pregnancy; sense of perception increases if this is your second or third pregnancy etc.

Since this is your first pregnancy, you may find difficulty in perceiving fetal movements early on ( 14-16 weeks as in a multigravida ) and hence can feel them only at around 20 weeks. In the beginning, it would be only a small tapping feel and as the pregnancy evolves, you can feel the complete movement as you focus.

Hope your query is clarified. Please get back if you have any more queries. I will be ready to help.

regards,
Shanti.V.