Pregnant and used nystatin and triamcinolone acetonide cream for suspected yeast infection. Safe?

I'm 9 weeks pregnant and used a tiny bit of nystatin and triamcinolone acetonide cream because I feel like I may be getting a yeast infection. I read online shortly after that it could be XXXXXXX so I showered. Have I done something harmful to the fetus?
Posted Fri, 18 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Apparently not.

Detailed Answer:

Nystatin and Triamcinolone is a pregnancy category C drug which means that animal studies have shown that the drug has adverse effects on the fetus but there are no well controlled trials in humans and thus the use of the drug should be judged with the benefits versus the risks and can be used when extremely needed.

The affects, if any, are seen with systemic intake, strong steroids and local application for prolonged period of time. So, in essence, use of topical potent steroids for prolonged period of time in large doses can be harmful. As you had only a little single application which was cleaned away, it is most likely not to affect the pregnancy in any way. So, please do not worry. If you want to take some medication for your infection, I would suggest a visit to your obstetrician and get a prescription after an examination. Please do not self-medicate yourself in pregnancy.

Hope your query is answered. Please feel free to contact for more clarifications. I will be happy to help.