Pregnant and suffering from cough and fever. Suggest medication and cure?

My wife is 27 week pregnant and since yesterday she is suffering from cough and fever (102 degree centigrade). As she is pregnant she has not taken any medicine for cough and fever. Could you please advise?
Posted Sun, 14 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later

Your wife seems to be suffering from upper respiratory tract infection. Here the cause is most likely virus, though bacterial infections are not uncommon.

In these circumstances, my suggestions are:
1. Acetaminophen 500mg three times a day after food for 2-3 days. Acetaminophen is available over the counter as calpol or crocin in India.
2. Steam inhalation three times a day. You can add contents of Karvol Plus capsule into the warm water and inhale. Karvol plus inhalation can give added benefits.
3. Saline nasal spray such as Nasoclear can be useful if nasal congestion is severe.
4. Should she have throat discomfort, she can try salt water gargles thrice a day.
5. In addition encourage her to drink plenty of fluids, eat lots of vegetables and rest well.

All the above drugs are safe during pregnancy.

Viral infection symptoms gradually fade away in a day or two with symptomatic treatment as described above. Should she continue to feel unwell for more than 3 days or if the intensity of fever recorded continue to remain above 100 deg F, it would be worthwhile to consult your local doctor. Antibiotics like azithromycin/cefixime can be initiated.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Wishing her a speedy recovery...