Pregnant and have not gained weight. Had miscarriages. Have morning sickness, sore breasts. Suggest?

Mar 2013
Hi. my name is XXXXXXX and I am about 10 wks pregnant and have not gained much weight. I am trying to eat healthy and add I think its 300 more calories. Should I be concerned??? Have had 4 miscarriages all before the 7th week. This time my symptoms are very different...morning sickness, sore breats etc. Just wondering.
Posted Sat, 10 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 9 minutes later

Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.

You are taking the right amount of calories as recommended during pregnancy , as an extra to your normal diet.

The symptoms you describe too are indicative of a healthy ongoing pregnancy.

Regarding the weight gain, please do NOT worry.

Most women in the first trimester are surprised to discover that not only are they not gaining weight, but are actually losing some.

The weight gain in the first trimester can be as low as 5 pounds total, and for some women, even a loss of a few pounds is normal.

The long as your ultrasound scan tells you that the baby is growing quite normally.

That is the most reliable indicator of a healthy pregnancy.

Also, if the morning sickness is bad to the extent that you just cannot keep anything down ( that does not seem to be the case with you ), then you have reason to worry and consult your doctor .
At present, do not focus on the weight gain / loss, as the actual weight gain might start showing up only in the second trimester onwards.

Of course, I hope you have been thoroughly investigated for the cause of the previous 4 miscarriages, as any treatable condition should be handled before embarking on this current pregnancy.

Do not have undue stress / anxiety, as that will negatively impact your fetus.
Take care, and enjoy your pregnancy.

Please feel free to discuss further, or ask for any more clarifications.