Pregnant and have high TSH. Will my baby will be effected?

Excellent

Question
I'm in pregnancy of 13th week, and in my recent tests it was identified that my TSH level is 7.69 uIU/ml. Can you pls let me know how will be my baby's condition?
I'm lacting women for my first kid, is there any chance taht my breast feeding baby will be effected by this?
Posted Thu, 5 Sep 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 21 hours later
Brief Answer:
High TSH means you have hypothyroidism

Detailed Answer:
High TSH means body is making less thyroid hormone. Normal TSH for pregnancy is less than 2.5. High TSH during pregnancy can cause low IQ in baby.So start thyroxine ASAP. However hypothyroidism or thyroxine wont have any effect on lactating baby. So start treatment ASAP.
During pregnancy you have to check thyroid profile every 6 weeks.
Hope this helps

Follow-up: Pregnant and have high TSH. Will my baby will be effected? 36 minutes later
Thank you for your response Sir
I started the thyroid medicine today. As I'm in 14th week of pregnancy, will that effected baby in brain development already due to thyroid till this point of time. If so how to verify and override that. Thanks in advnace

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry

Detailed Answer:
No if you have started treatment nothing to worry. TSH is not very high to effect the IQ or brain development. So dont worry. Continue treatment and repeat TSH after 6 weeks. Nothing much to worry.
Shivaprasad