Pregnant and getting a rash on lower abdomen. Is this normal, if not what should I do?

Mar 2016

I am pregnant and am getting a rash on my lower abdomen. is this normal if not what should I do?

my edd is XXXXXXX 20.
Posted Thu, 27 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 43 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, rashes and itching are quite common among some pregnant women in third trimester. It has several reasons and most of them need only symptomatic treatment. Though we need to rule out possible pathology like liver problems or cholestasis while it is associated with jaundice or yellow skin .

According to your information, this type of rashes usually start on the abdomen with small red blotches and gradually it forms an intense red rash. It may spread to thighs, buttocks and arms over the next few days to a week.

But, it is quite difficult to diagnose the condition (rashes) without proper clinical view. Hence, I suggest you to visit to your healthcare provider or consulting obstetrician at the earliest to pinpoint the diagnosis with relevant investigation and take suggestive measures accordingly.

Applying calamine lotion locally with supportive medication (if needed) usually eliminate this type of rashes. You can discuss it with your treating doctor. It usually disappears within 1-2 weeks after delivery with complete resolution of the symptoms.

Hope, it helps for your information. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me in follow up section.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Pregnant and getting a rash on lower abdomen. Is this normal, if not what should I do? 11 minutes later
I have no other symptoms. you still think it could be a liver prob or cholestasi
Answered by Dr. S Patra 18 minutes later

Thanks for your follow up query.

I had put the possibility of cholestasis. I do not mean you have it. Without clinical examination, rashes or other skin condition can not be confirmed from the web. Therefore, it is best to get examined once by your treating doctor before acting on suggestive measures.

Hope, it clears your confusion. If you do not need any clarification, you can close the discussion.

Dr Soumen