Pregnant. What will be the effect of high glucose level on the unborn baby?

May 2013
background: my first daughter was always on the larger side and born 9lbs 5oz. but my glucose with her was normal. i am not obese but could stand to lose a few pounds.

I am 36w 5 days pregnant with my second child. my glucose test in the second trimester came back fine. but because the baby is already measuring at 8lbs (as of yesterday), my dr had me do the 1 hour glucose test. results came back at 190. I have to go back to do the 3 hour test. I know diet could have played a roll as i do like starchy foods. my question is, if the 3 hour test comes back positive, this late in the pregnancy, what effects will it have on the baby? short or long term? thank you
Posted Mon, 26 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 47 minutes later

The possible effects of gestational diabetes on baby in later weeks of pregnancy are:
Before delivery:
-Macrosomia: woman with gestational diabetes will have insulin resistance leading to high glucose levels. The extra levels will transfer to fetus leading hyper insulinemia, fat deposition etc resulting in macrosomic baby.

-Rarely intrauterine death may occur. But this is usually seen in uncontrolled diabetes.

At the time of delivery:
-Because of macrosomic baby delivery can become difficult. Sometimes instrumental delivery or cesarean section may needed.
During delivery injuries like perineal tears can occur to the mother and baby can also face injuries during instrumental delivery.
Complications like shoulder distocia can occur.
After delivery:
-Hypoglycemia: because of having hyperinsulinemia baby can have hypoglycemia after delivery.
-There is increased risk of neonatal jaundice.
-Babies are more prone to type-2 diabetes in later life.

Don't worry these are general possibilities and may not occur in all cases.
We hope that your GTT result will be negative.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Pregnant. What will be the effect of high glucose level on the unborn baby? 36 minutes later
Thank you for your quick response. I am scheduled to have a repeat c-section, as I had one with my first daughter. So I"m not to worried about the physical issues during delivery. My main concern is immediately after if the baby will have issues with low glucose while still newborn, and then the later effects. When you say they will be more prone to type 2 diabetes in later life, is there some type of % of risk increase or any other ways to decrease this risk? On a side note, if the 3 our test comes back negative, is there still a chance of having a higher risk later in life or the jaundice/low sugar right after birth?
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later

Hypoglycemic condition of the newborn baby can be diagnosed by symptoms like jitteriness, apnea, poor body tone, cyanosis etc. And by performing simple blood test the levels of glucose can be diagnosed.
It can be treated by giving early feeding or if needed intravenous transfusion of glucose.
By maintaining tight control of blood sugar levels during pregnancy this condition can be prevented.

The risk of getting type-2 diabetes in children can be prevented to some extent by maintaining ideal weight, making healthy food choices, being more physically active etc.

If the test comes negative it will eliminate the possibility of gestational diabetes.
So baby may not have problems related to it.
But macrosomic baby can have some amount of risk to develop neonatal jaundice, respiratory distress etc. But with adequate monitoring and early treatment these can be prevented.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.