Pregnant. Took mifeprex. No cramp or bleeding. Is the baby alive?

Hi, i took 1pill of mifeprex yesterday 4pm. I am/was 4 weeks pregnant. Did not have cramps, bleeding, nothing. Only dizziness. Is the baby still alive, even tho the med is supposed to stop progesterone production?
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 35 minutes later
Thanks for consulting us.
I think you are attempting medical termination of pregnancy and you are right that this medicine is anti-progesterone.
You are currently only 4 weeks pregnant & at this stage it is not always possible to see fetal heart beat on ultrasound, which is a surest sign of a living pregnancy.
You can go for a trans-vaginal ultrasound to see the status of your pregnancy. If this is inconclusive you may go for serial beta hCG measurements ( blood test) to make sure that the pregnancy is ongoing or has stopped progressing. With the given history I can only say that it is still inside you & you need to take some other medicine to abort it.
It is advisable that medical termination of pregnancy should be under medical supervision & your doctor will guide you which medicine to take & in which amount. Doctor will also guide you if any complication arise.
Hope this answers your query. Please write back if you have any point to discuss.
I will be glad to respond.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Took mifeprex. No cramp or bleeding. Is the baby alive? 15 minutes later
What if i changed my mind? What are the risks of birth defects?
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 15 minutes later
Welcome back.
There is an increased risk of birth defects if pregnancy continues despite taking this medicine. So, this may not be a wise decision if you change your mind.
Your pregnancy is very early & usually at this stage an outside insult either damages the pregnancy completely or it stays unaffected but theoretical risk is no doubt there. So, better to be safe than sorry.
Best of luck.