Pregnant. Taking calcium and iron tablet. Molar tooth broke off. Does this indicate any deficiency?

Mar 2016

My wife is currently in her 33rd week of pregnancy. A day or two back she broke one of her molar teeth and had to spit it out.

She had been advised by her gynec not to visit a dentist during pregnancy. Since she has been on Calcium and Iron tablets, does the broken tooth indicate any Calcium deficiency? Does she need to increase the dosage?

Posted Thu, 28 Feb 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query. I am trying to give answer according to your concern.

Basically most of the calcium in the human body is stored in the bones and the teeth. Therefore, it is very much essential to keep a certain level of calcium in the blood. Normal level of serum calcium is 9-11 mg%. If calcium levels are too low, the body will break down bone or teeth to increase the serum calcium levels.

In pregnancy, serum calcium level always tends to decrease due to increased demand of both mother & baby. Also, I do not think that breaking of one molar tooth can cause health impact on mother/ baby or calcium deficiency.

But, I suggest to consult with dentist to rule out the cause of breaking the molar tooth like caries/ infection/ gum problem etc. She can check serum calcium level if there is underlying pathology around root canal of tooth/ gum. Maintenance of oral hygiene is very much essential to avoid oral/ gum/ tooth infection. Chlorhexidine mouth wash with water is quite helpful in this context.

Dose adjustment depends on serum level of calcium or underlying pathology of root canal of tooth. Increased dose of calcium is only needed if there is very low level of calcium. It can be decided only after oral/ tooth examination by dentist & checking calcium level.

For healthy pregnancy, please do periodic check up with ultrasound scan for better assessment of growth & development of the baby, continue protein XXXXXXX diet with iron supplements, eat more vegetables & fresh fruits, drink more water for good feto-placental circulation, take adequate bed rest & maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish her for good health & successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen.