Pregnant. Suffering with cold and blocked nose. Suggest some safe nasal drop

ENT Specialist
Question
my wife is pregnant(3rd month),and she was suffering with cold blocked nose.can you prefer any nasal drops which is safe for pregnants and she is also suffering with cold from a long time.every day she was taking steam breath with vicks and zandu balm but still no use,every night she was suffering with blocked nose,i just giving him OTRINOZ nasal drops(only a couple of drops on both sides once in a day before bed) but she was telling that the nose becoming dry after taking otrinoz. but recently i heard that xylometazoline (otrinoz has it) is not safe for pregnants.so can you please help me,and also please refer a good nasal drops which are safe for pregnants.
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 58 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Nasomist or Nasoclear saline nasal drops will help reduce the dryness in the nose. these are safe in pregnancy and can be used as often as required.

2. Generally speaking, all medications that are safe for use in children are safe in pregnancy. The first trimester (first three months) are the most critical and medication is avoided if possible.

3. Though Otrinoz decongestant drops are not advised during pregnancy, a few days use will not harm the child. She may use Otrinoz Pediatric (half strength) instead which will help decrease the dryness in the nose. Nasal decongestant drops are not advised for use for more than two weeks as the patient develops 'rhintis medicmentosa' due to bound congestion.

4. Is she taking any anti allergic? Avil 25 or levocetrizine 5 mg once day may help but will also increase the dryness in the nose.

5. If the nose is severely blocked, a single tablet such a Solvin will ease the obstruction along with plain steam inhalation. Vicks and especially Zandu Balm should not be added as they will increase the dryness in the nose.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Suffering with cold and blocked nose. Suggest some safe nasal drop 26 hours later
i got nasomist and nasoclear saline nasal drops and gave her nasoclear saline nasal drops last night(3 drops on both sides of nostrils)but still she was saying that i can't get completely free relief from the blocked nose.

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 5 hours later

Thank you for your writing back.

1. Saline Nasal drops will reduce the dryness of the nose. You can use them liberally.

2. To reduce the congestion and blockage completely you need to give her an anti-allergic (Tab Levocterizine 5 mg), Tab. Solvin and Otrinoz (Pediatric) along with steam inhalation.

Regards.