Pregnant. Started loose motion with abdominal cramp. How to get cured?

May 2013
Hello doctor!
My friend is staying in a remote part of India. She is 6 months pregnant. She statrted having loose motions around 15:00hrs IST. It is 20:40 hrs now and she has gone about 4 to 5 times to the toilet.
She is complaining of excessive cramps and kicks on the lower part of the abdomen now. There is no doctor available in the vicinity right now so could you please advise us what can be done in this case.
Posted Thu, 27 Dec 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Bowel movements due to loose motions might have stimulated premature uterine action and loss of water and electrolytes can affect the general condition of the mother, which can intern affect baby's condition.
So if medical shop is available in her village, let her take:
ORS power or any other rehydration solution in water.
Sporolac sachets in water to control motions.
Natural progesterone supplements like susten or naturogest etc to stop uterine action.

If medical shop is not available:
Let her take home remedies like soaked jeera water to control motions.
To maintain hydration let her drink a glass of water with one spoon of sugar and pinch of salt. She can repeat it every hourly for 4 hours, then two hours once.
Also she can take coconut water, butter milk etc.
Let her take rest in left lateral position as per as possible.
And consult nearby doctor as early as she can.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.