Pregnant. Started getting itching on hands and belly. Test showed high SGOT level. Is this serious?

May 2013
My wife is pregnant in her third trimester and is to deilver is about 8 weeks

She recently started getting iching and little buttons about he hands and belly

The doctor recommended a lab test and the following was returned
SGOT 79.5
SGPT 28.4
GGTP 14.7
Alkaline phospate 253
total bilirubin 0.7
direct bilirubin .4
idirect bilirubin .3

The SGOT is high and everything else is low

She has to take another test in two days

How serious is this problem or is this a normal thing?

She is 30 years
this is our first child
Posted Thu, 1 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 36 minutes later

According to the report only SGOT and alkaline phosphate are elevated.
But SGOT will also be present in blood cells, cardiac muscle and skeletal muscle.
Alkaline phosphate will be present in placental and bone tissue.
So they are not specific for liver disease.
And also when the levels raise three times above the normal range then only they can be considered as abnormal. The range of normal values vary from lab to lab.
So the chance of any liver problem is less and these can be usual elevations due to pregnancy.
Anyhow better to undergo repeat testing as your doctor told which will clarify the doubt.
Usually in pregnancy with increasing gestational age the size of the uterus will grow leading to stretching of the abdomen.
Which will lead to separation of collagen fibers in the skin that can cause decrease of moisture which provoke itching.
For more details and methods to get relief:

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Started getting itching on hands and belly. Test showed high SGOT level. Is this serious? 23 hours later
Thanks Dr Sree

She did the other test today and the SGOT when down from 79.5 to 74.5
and the reference values from the lab is 0-37 U/L. Everything else was within range
What can you read from this

The doctor still wants to see her and talk to her, so we are not sure why
as she said that this value should NOT be high during pregnancy

Just looking for second opinion and dont want any surprises.

Also she started getting rashes along with the inching, and the rash (little small bumps) are spreading belly to arms and hands and now to chest.
They started about three days ago

any words of advice?

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 12 hours later

In liver cells SGOT will be present in the cytosol and SGPT will be in mitochondria.
So elevated SGOT levels with normal SGPT levels indicate mild liver damage.
In case of severe damage both will rise.
Your doctor may want to exclude intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy.
This condition occurs due to impairment of bile secretion and usually seen in the third trimester.
It is influenced by hormonal and genetic factors.
Rash in ICP can be seen due to scratching the itchy skin.
The other symptoms of ICP are greasy stools, dark urine, epigastric discomfort, fatigue, anorexia etc.
But as your wife is not having all these except itching and rash it can be taken that the problem is mild.
If your doctor suggests to start treatment to ICP you can start as ICP can cause preterm labor, meconium stained liquor etc.
Along with that vitamin K injection should be taken as ICP can cause deficiency of that.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.