Pregnant. Started bleeding with abdominal cramps on 5th weak. What should be done?

Bleeding during 5th week of pregnancyHi. I just got a positive result in the home pregnancy test. In the evening I had bleeding with cramping. The bleeding is still continuing but the cramp lasted for 2hours or so. It was 8th day after I missed my period and my periods had never been irregular. This is my first pregnancy. Please advise if I can wait till Monday for sonography.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Bleeding at 5 weeks of pregnancy with abdominal cramps can be due to an ectopic pregnancy or a threatened abortion. This should be diagnosed immediately for proper and timely management.
I advise you to attend an ER for an ultrasound scan for proper diagnosis. Waiting till monday is not advisable.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Pregnant. Started bleeding with abdominal cramps on 5th weak. What should be done? 6 hours later
Thank you for your reply. Please let me know if a "threatened abortion" means a definite miscarriage. What are the chances that if I go to an ER the baby can be saved? Honestly, I am little uncomfortable to go to an ER, specially because I am kind of looking hope that the baby might be alright. what are the other implications that might happen because of which I should visit an ER? Are you advising to visit an ER because something can be done? is there a possibility of affecting my future to conceive?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Threatened abortion suggests a likelihood of abortion in near future if appropriate precautions and treatment is not taken.
My purpose of suggesting you to attend an ER was to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. Because in case of early diagnosis, surgical treatment for ectopic pregnancy can be avoided. There is no harm in getting yourself evaluated.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.