Pregnant. Prescribed microgest. Safe to continue this medicine? Any side effect?

My wife is 23 weeks pregnant. This is her first pregnancy with no past history.
Her Doctor has prescribed her Microgest 200, to be Vaginally Inserted, 2 times a day. He has also advised her to continue doing so till the 9th month of pregnancy.

I'd like to know if this medication / dosage of hormone is really necessary? What are the potential side-effects? IF we decide to, can we stop it anytime as per our own wish?
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

Can you please tell me what the indication for this medication is in her case? Was something seen on ultrasound? Please let me know and I will get right back to you.

I hope that this helps. Please ask if you have any followup questions.