Pregnant. Is the SGPT and Gamma-GT levels normal?

Mar 2016

Good Morning,
I have a question about you!
Well, my wife's health examinations, who is pregnant to sixth month, the SGPT/ALT and γ-GT is under the the referenc
Posted Mon, 11 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I have reviewed your attached report and it reveals below normal level of SGPT and Gamma-GT.

It does not indicate major health problem or any kind of liver disease. However, it can suggest deficiency of vitamin-B6 (Pyridoxine) or dietary nutrient. Certain drugs and herbal products can alter or lower SGPT and Gamma-GT result.

Here, I suggest to consult with her obstetrician for one clinical examination and co-relate with lab test result. She would take Vitamin-B complex capsule daily with balanced diet XXXXXXX in protein and vegetables.

Hope, I have answered your query. Let me know, if you need any clarification.

Wish her good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Pregnant. Is the SGPT and Gamma-GT levels normal? 1 hour later
Do you think that my wife must lower or higher SGPT AND GAMMAGT with her diet?
I ask you because it has lower prices from the reference range.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

SGPT and Gamma-GT are enzymes which are mostly made in liver cells than any other organ or cardiac cells. They are commonly increased in liver diseases or hepatitis and sometimes in cardiac disease or hematological abnormality. They don't increase or raise with alteration of her regular diet.

As SGPT & Gamma-GT values are below the normal level, then liver diseases are excluded and vitamin-B6 deficiency is more relevant in this context. Proper diet and Vitamin-B complex supplement will be best regimens to correct deficiency and metabolism.

Hope, I have clarified the things. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen