Pregnant. Have low haemoglobin level. Should I be concerned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
I am in the 5th month of [21 week] pregnancy. my hemoglobin % is 10 and normal range is 11-16. is this a concern I am a vegetarian. i need your valuable suggestion.
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 34 minutes later
During pregnancy some amount of hemodilution will occur.
That will be more in second trimester (between 13 weeks to 24 weeks).
For Indian women 10.5 mg/dl can be taken as normal in second trimester.
So no need to worry.
You continue to take iron and folic acid prophylaxis.
Take nutritious diet containing iron XXXXXXX foods like jaggery, green leafy vegetables etc.
For more details: WWW.WWWW.WW
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Pregnant. Have low haemoglobin level. Should I be concerned? 17 minutes later
thanks for the reply. Doctor advised to stop folic acid from 5th month, after seeing blood report. As per your advise i will continue folic acid. Please let me know, how many days i can continue folic acid. As you advised i will take iron content food.

thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 37 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX
Doctor might have prescribed you iron tablets in combination with folic acid. May be because that she might have adviced to stop folic acid tablets.
So you once check the contents of the iron tablets and then decide.
You can take folic acid supplements through out the pregnancy, no harm in it.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.