Pregnant. Have excess facial hair. Did laser treatment. Can I use bleach now?

Mar 2016

I am approximately 9 weeks pregnant. I have a few questions.

I had the problem of excess body and facial hair and was undergoing laser treatment before, but have stopped it now. But the hair seems to have increased during this phase.

My questions are:

1. It is an embarassing problem. Can I use bleach during pregnancy to cover facial hair? Is it safe? If yes, how frequently can I use? Is there any particular brand that can be used safely?

2. Can I continue to use the regular cosmetics I used to use before during pregnancy? Includes moisturizers, night creams, occasional make-up, herbal face packs?

3. Is there anything I can do to reduce stretch marks?

Please let me know.

Posted Sat, 9 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 20 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) Pregnancy-induced abnormal hair growth usually develops in the first trimester and mostly due to increase androgen. Unusual hair growth mostly occurs on breasts, belly, arms, legs and back.

I wouldn't recommend any type of bleaches to reduce facial hair because they can be absorbed into the skin and we don't know what effect they might have on a developing baby. First trimester is a most vulnerable period for growing baby and you need to take extra care to avoid birth defect or teratogenicity.

To get rid of the hair, you can safely tweeze, wax and shave for temporary purpose. Otherwise you can undergo permanent hair-removal techniques like laser and electrolysis which are work well and safe during pregnancy. But, I recommend those after 12 weeks of gestational age.

2) You can use cosmetics like moisturizer, night cream or herbal packs which are totally chemical free. Soy-based moisturizers can be used after first trimester to reduce hair growth. They contain plant-based hormones and there is no contraindication during pregnancy.
3) Yes, you can use Palmer’s Cocoa Butter cream or lotion for stretch marks which is quite effective and can be used safely during pregnancy.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through