Pregnant. Has fibroid tumor on placenta. Having pain and feels pressure. What can be done?

My daughter is pregnant (due Oct. 11) and has a fibroid tumor on the placenta. Her OB clinic consists of two OBGYNs and 2 midwifes. Early on seen by midwife, but this week's visit saw gynocolgist. This is the first mention of the fibroid tumor, but early ultrasound show it from the beginning. Fibroid is about 4 cm. Is there anything she should do? She experiences little pain, but feels pressure when baby pushes up. OBGYN says they will continue ultrasounds, but not to worry. Is a 2nd opinion warranted?

She did experience pain when doctor pushed on the location of the fibroid tumor. I read in another report that fibroids can be inherited. I had several removed a surgery before menopause, they came back, but my OBGYN suggested waiting for menopause to solve the issue as they would keep returning. Since menopause, I have had no pain.
Posted Sat, 3 Aug 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The fibroids bear a hereditary occurrence so your daughter is also having it, she is lucky to have only one and getting pregnant out of her hope.
The combination of fibroid and pregnancy puts the pregnancy at risk. But because up to now she has uneventful course, she will have an good outcome also. Some pain is usual in fibroids but acute increase in pain severity and pain without any provocation indicates a complication in fibroid and in that case immediate review to the gynecologist is mandatory.
Feeling pressure when baby moves or pushes up is usual in this phase of pregnancy.
Once baby descends in pelvis these symptoms will reduce.
She should avoid heavy work of gardening now typically those needing bending and pulling on heavy loads. She should switch to very light work of gardening like watering, trimming etc.
She must avoid constipation and should take liberal amounts of liquids and salad/fruits.
If still constipated then add Lactulose 30 ml at bedtime to produce soft stools once a day.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!