Pregnant. Had unprotected sex. Consumed i pill. Used lubricant with condom. Will this affect the baby?

Mar 2016

Hi, My Wife is found to be 6 week 5 days pregnant on 18th Sep. we had unprotected sex around 8-15th Aug and post that she had consumed 1 i-pill within 48hrs. she had the mensuration on 3rd Aug only for 3days.. we had used lubricant under Durex brand available at health store during intercourse. I would like to understand the any effects on the baby as a result of above usage as this is unplanned.. Please advice. we are very skeptical of any issue with the baby... As per early pregnancy scan.. fetus appeared normal and in good condition... Your views will be useful.. Pratap from Bangalore.. Age of Wife 26 years..other stats are normal as per recent check up at Fortis.
Posted Sat, 5 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't be worried. She can carry healthy pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing Healthcare Magic.

From your given history, I can assume that you involved in unprotected sexual intercourse close to the ovulation day or fertile days. She possibly took I-pill around 16th-17th August. I-pill has failure rate about 15% if it is taken within 24-48 hrs. However, you would not be worried about the unplanned pregnancy as recent check up and scan report are normal.

I-pill (levonorgestrel) and lubricant usually do not create any harmful effect to growing fetus before confirmation of pregnancy (around 4 to 5 weeks) because fetal organogenesis takes place 5th week onwards. So, external unsafe drug or chemical subs will not be harmful before that and she will definitely carry healthy pregnancy.

Here, chance of fetal birth defect or developmental delay is extremely rare and her recent scan result is also positive. However, she needs to undergo some scheduled investigation and anomaly scan in the later weeks for assessment of fetal well being. These include:

1) Nuchal Translucency and Double marker test - around 9 to 13 weeks.
2) TRIPLE TEST or QUADRUPLE test - around 15th to 20 weeks.
3) TIFFA scan (if feasible) - around 18th to 23rd weeks.

Kindly, consult with your OBGYN for proper guidance of the above mentioned test and do periodic check up as per schedule.

In addition, she must take folic acid & vitamin supplements, eat healthy protein XXXXXXX diet (extra 350 Kcal/ day), drink more water or fruit juice, take adequate bed rest, avoid heavy work/ long journey/ sexual intercourse/ uneven surface/ high heal shoe, reduce mental stress and maintain genital hygiene. These are the key component of carrying a healthy pregnancy.

Hope, I have guided you with my experience and answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish her good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Pregnant. Had unprotected sex. Consumed i pill. Used lubricant with condom. Will this affect the baby? 17 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Soumen. Your guidance is helpful. Though we are consulting best doctor at Fortis, I preferred to get 2nd opinion on this.

As I understand, technically there seems to very less or NIL effect on current pregnancy fetus due to consumption of i-Pill (which was between 24-48 Hrs of intercourse) and the lubrication used.

Hence we have decided to go-ahead with the current pregnancy and leave rest to wish of God.

Please guide if we can have protected intercourse during this period of pregnancy and till which month. Also advice on unprotected intercourse. What are the side effects or effects of having intercourse during pregnancy.

Thank you again for your guidance.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do Sex after 16 weeks to avoid early miscarriage.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

Yes, I-pill and lubrication do not cause any harmful effect on current pregnancy as they are taken before confirmation.

No, you would avoid any kind of sexual intercourse in the first trimester (up to 12 weeks) as this time period is most vulnerable to growing fetus with risk of miscarriage or pregnancy loss. Special care is to be taken in the first trimester and early second trimester. No external unsafe medications are to be taken and she must follow previous mentioned suggestive measures.

However, you can do protected sex after 16 weeks (quite safe) with special care so that you do not hurt her cervix and avoid pressure on her abdomen or associated vaginal bleeding.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you do not have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. God bless you.

Dr Soumen