Pregnant. Had abortion before with cytotec. Can expired medicine be used again?

Mar 2016

i am 4 weeks pregnant, and i am in a country where abortion is not allowed.
3 years ago i,ve done an abortion with cytotec. took 3 pills every 3 hours and 2 in the vigina. i started at like 6pm and the blood started at midnight.
now i want to use the same tablets i still have but the expiry date is April 2013.
it s very hard to get other pills where i live.
do you think i can use these? should i add something?
was my first time abortion right? should i do the same?
Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I understand your situation. Followings are my comments regarding your query:

1) No, you can not use expired medication like abortion pill etc. It may be less effective in medical abortion procedure and give adverse drug reaction to your health. So, it is better to avoid.

2) Yes, you need to take complete regimen of medical abortion pill under strict supervision of healthcare provider to reduce associated complication. Regimen includes mifepristone tab in combination with misoprostol (cytotec).

3) No, your first time abortion procedure was not absolute right. It is better to take above medications in proper direction under supervision. Please consult with your healthcare provider regarding this.

4) No, you should not do the same thing. Following is the general guideline for medical abortion:

a) Proceed medical abortion always under supervision of your doctor to reduce possible risk and complications.

b) Confirm your pregnancy & gestational age by one Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan). It also helps to differentiate uterine and tubal pregnancy before taking the pill.

c) Medical abortion can be done successfully XXXXXXX up to 9 weeks (63 days) in 95% cases. Ideally, one mifepristone tab is taken in the morning followed 24-48 hrs later by four misoprostol tabs (2 orally and 2 vaginally). Immediately after taking those pills, you will get vaginal bleeding & strong abdominal cramp till fleshy mass or clots are expelled out.

d) You may get bleeding or small clots for 1-2 weeks to resolve the abortion completely. Next, follow up examination is required after 2 weeks to check retained bits or placental tissue. One pelvic ultrasound is quite helpful.

e) In failed medical abortion, surgical procedure (D & C) is required to evacuate uterine cavity completely. In such case, your gynecologist can help you.

Hope, it helps for your information. Let me know if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen