Pregnant. Got electric shock and started pain in fingers. What are the effects on foetus?

I am 12 weeks pregnant and my ipad gave me a strange tingling sensation on my right hand while it was charging. Slight pain on two of my fingers for about an hour after the incident. Could this harm my fetus?
Posted Thu, 29 Nov 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later
The effect of electric shock in pregnancy is a controversial topic.Here the duration and magnitude of the voltage is very important. There havent been many reports published. In early pregnancy esp the 1st trimester,no monitoring is useful.The result of the shock can range from no effect on the fetus to a spontaneous abortion. The problem is that the effects can be seen even several hours after the injury. You just need to be careful.Watchful expectancy is the management here. If you have any abdominal pain, bleeding etc rush to the ER. From what you have mentioned, it was a mild voltage injury of short duration. Hopefully that wont harm the pregnancy if the current hasnt passed through uterus.Right now,just rest and make sure this doesnt happen again. If you have any symptoms i have mentioned,seek medical attention.