Pregnant. Feeling dizzy. Is this normal with gestational diabetes?

Sep 2012

I am 19 weeks pregnant and conisdered high risk of gestational diabetes. I have been taking my blood sugar for 5 weeks and only a few have been a few points higher. (Fasting 92-106) (after meals 93-126).

This morning my fasting was 101. I had one egg, wheat toast, cheese cubes and glass of milk. One hour after I was breakfast, while driving into work I felt very dizzy and like I could faint. I arrived at work 10 minutes later and my blood sugar was 121. Is this normal with gestational diabetes?
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 2 hours later
Thank you for asking a question.
Firstly, According to American Diabetic Association,the criteria for diagnosis of gestational diabetes is as following:
Time Normal Impaired diabetes
Tolerance Glucose tolerance

Fasting <110 >110 and <126 >126

2 hr post <140 >140 and <200 >200

From the above chart, your fasting level (101) was within normal limit. And, even if I assume your breakfast as a meal, then the blood sugar level of 121 is also within normal limit.
You can monitor your blood sugar level according to this chart.

Now, coming to your symptoms, it seems to be a mild vasovagal attack.
Normally, blood is being pushed up from our lower limb to heart for circulation. But, during pregnancy, it becomes slower due to increased blood volume. It some times leads to slower blood flow to your brain. Which presents as dizziness and fainting.
To avoid this condition, you must take adequate rest.

Summary:- The blood sugar level is quite normal.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.