Pregnant. Experiencing itchining in palms and feet. Liver function test done. Possibility of liver disease or hepatitis?

May 2013
HI doctor,
My wife is 34 weeks pregnant.For the last two weeks she is experiencing itchining her palms & feet.She got her ultrasound done 2 days back and the doctor observed low amniotic fluid.On getting a liver function test done the SGPT level is 180.The total bilurubin count is 0.5.
Does this mean she is suffering from some liver diesease or hepatitis? Is this bound to cause some complication in the pregnancy? does the foetus is also bound to have some problem?
Posted Sun, 28 Oct 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

Usually some amount of itching can be seen in pregnancy.
Itching of palms and feet can be seen due to excess of estrogen during pregnancy.
Mild elevation of liver enzymes is common in pregnancy.
Intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy(ICP) is one condition seen in 1% of pregnant women.
This is associated with increased risk of still birth.
In ICP itching of the body especially soles and palms are seen. Usually this itching will be severe and also bile serum levels will rise before enzymes.
The normal SGPT levels are between 5 to 60. When the levels become three times above normal it is considered as abnormal.
According to your wife's report SGPT level is at the borderline.
Total bilirubin is normal.
So with this we cannot confirm the existence of ICP.
Amniotic fluid above AFI 10 is considered as normal.

So you once discuss these possibilities with your doctor and if needed take the consultation of gastroenterologist in diagnosing the exact cause of itching and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.